Michael Sluka is a Principal in Nperspective’s South Florida Practice Area. Mike brings 4 decades of experience in business finance, accounting, and operations to addressing client needs. The first leg of Mike’s career experience was as an audit and advisory partner for a Big Four CPA firm (KPMG), responsible for the successful delivery of solutions and services to client companies ranging from private owner-managed to publicly held. He served clients in manufacturing, distribution, transportation, and hospitality. He led project teams responsible for developing Enterprise Risk Management protocols for various industries and the initial implementation of Sarbanes-Oxley control systems in addition to 2 decades of financial and forensic audit experience.
Mike left his practicing CPA career to become a business segment CFO within Xerox Financial Services, overseeing the Turnaround/Restructuring segment. Over the course of 7 years, Mike either returned to normal operations or successfully divested, over $2 billion of initially distressed assets.
Subsequently, joining a family investment trust as CFO, Mike led efforts to add scale and operating sophistication to a second stage ($50 million revenue) insurance and health services portfolio company. As CFO, he oversaw a plan for geographical expansion, systems sophistication, additional services, and an organizational restructuring. Over the course of the next 6 ½ years, revenue grew to $250 million culminating with a successful IPO and NYSE listing.
Transitioning from corporate roles to advisor/consultant, Mike’s engagements thus far include:
– Financial representative/advisor for a family office investment undergoing Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
– Advising an equipment manufacturer on debt recapitalization and alternative financing options.
– Assisting several companies with PPP loan rules and applications.
– Redesigning orders-to-cash cycle procedures for distribution company resulting in a reduction from 60 days to 38 days.
– Serving as a business expert to a law firm during the course of a complex commercial litigation.
– Interpreting a valuation report for a business owner and identifying elements that were depressing sales value and how these could be improved.
Mr. Sluka obtained Certified Public Accounting (CPA) credentials in Illinois and then held practice licenses in numerous states while at KPMG. He has since earned professional credentials as a Certified Mergers and Acquisitions Advisor (CMAA) and Certified Business Transitions Expert (CBTE). He is currently completing the examinations for Certified Turnaround Analyst (CTA). Mike serves on the South Florida leadership boards of the Alliance for M&A Advisors, Exit Planning Exchange and CFO Leadership Council. He has been selected for membership in the South Florida Leadership Trust and serves as a contributing author for the South Florida Business Journal.